TALES OF OUR TRAVELS AND OUR LOVE OF ADVENTURE

Monday, June 14, 2010

Easy Apple-Nut Coffee Cake

I call this easy, since it can be thrown together in about 5 minutes, cooks for about 15, and tastes sooo  good.  I always have those ingredients on hand in the trailer, so I think it's a good traveling breakfast. This is what we had for breakfast here in Montrose this morning. We'll be leaving in an hour for Lake City.

Easy Apple-Nut Coffee Cake

2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 tart, firm apple, diced (I used granny smith)
1 cup multigrain baking mix (I used Trader Joe's)
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 350˚.  Lightly grease the bottom and sides of an 8- or 9-inch cake pan.  Put the butter in the pan (I just melted it in the pan over a burner for a few seconds). Sprinkle butter with brown sugar, nuts, and diced apple. In a bowl, combine baking mix, egg, milk, oil, and sugar.  Pour over mixture in pan. Bake approx. 15 minutes or until set and cooked through.  Loosen edges by running a knife around the insides of the pan, and invert onto a plate.  Enjoy!  Serves 2 hungry people.

2 comments:

Gin and Syl said...

That sounds like a great way to start a day...or try any time. I'm not much of a cook, but I'll have to try this one.

Merikay said...

Yumm!

Reminds me of something my mother used to make with biscquick.