TALES OF OUR TRAVELS AND OUR LOVE OF ADVENTURE

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Cottonwood Pass

Saturday, August 11

Way back in 1976, my dad and I came to Colorado to do some camping and hiking. We visited Taylor Park and then drove over Cottonwood Pass to Buena Vista. At the top of Cottonwood Pass Dad took a photo of me next to the sign-- a photo that I wanted to reproduce 36 years later. I don't have that photo on my computer--it's back at home in a scrapbook somewhere.

Today Don and I drove up to Cottonwood Pass--here's the reproduction of the photo from 1976:




It was a gorgeous day for photos--here are some photos from the top of the pass.




A small lake near the summit of the pass.




Looking east.




That's Taylor Park Reservoir off in the distance to the west.




Don coming down from a trail at the summit.




About 1/2 mile from the pass is a lookout point with some picnic tables. Don climbed up to one, and had to rest since it's at 12,000+ feet.




I think the mountain on the right is Huron Peak, 14,003 feet.




This is looking back up at Cottonwood Pass, in the center of the photo.

On the way back down we stopped at a meadow with these two signs:







-Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: