TALES OF OUR TRAVELS AND OUR LOVE OF ADVENTURE

Sunday, June 19, 2011

A great idea for leftover roast beef

Thursday June 16

Last night I made some quesadillas using some leftover roast beef. These weren't Mexican, but I still call them quesadillas because they had the basic filling-inside-a-tortilla.

Here's what I did:

First, I thinly sliced an onion, and slowly sautéed it in a small amount of butter. I think I used about a tablespoon. I would have added a small splash of balsamic vinegar, but since I didn't have any, I used soy sauce.

I took the leftover roast beef and shredded it.

I then used the caramelized onion, some roast beef, and some cheddar cheese as fillings for a flour tortilla quesadilla, and browned it on both sides until the cheese was melted.

You could try other kinds of cheeses--Swiss or Provolone come to mind. I made our quesadillas two ways: since Don was more hungry than I was, I made a sandwich with two tortillas and the filling inside. Once the cheese melts, it's easy to flip it over. I then cut it like a pizza with my kitchen scissors. For me, I just used one tortilla, put the filling on one half of it, and folded it over for grilling.

We ate this with a salad--making this a wonderful meal with leftover meat.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Sue Malone said...

You are talking about one of our main "go-to" meals when we are on the road. Whatever we have goes in the quesadilla. Only requirements are cheese and tortillas, but I too like shredded onion, cooked chicken, and jalapenas. When we were in Turkey, something between flat bread on big flat iron cookers was another go-to meal. Do you suppose there is some version of this that is world wide?

Travels with Emma said...

Sounds tasty, but I never have a beef roast (leftover or not). Think I'll try it with hamburger meat...

Cindy said...

At least 4 nights a week is quesidilla night.I use the leftover meats..pork chop meat off the bone..roast..grilled chicken..I have even done a combo link sausage and grilled chicken.
Walker likes his with Jalepeno Jack cheese..me Colby and provolone.

I always heat the meat first..then assemble.Sometimes we have avocado or sour cream..most nights it's with a salad. We love this type of eating.Quick..uses leftovers and not to heavy.
Have fun! Cindy and Walker

Merikay said...

Sounds very good. I'm making a chicken mole in the slow cooker today. It will be served in tortillas. I'm also making some guacamole because avocados were on sale. Hope you are enjoying your self out there.