On day 3 of our trip to the East Coast, we're stuck for two days in a little town south of Las Cruces/north of El Paso, called Vado. We spent last night in a campground in back of the Coachlight Inn in Las Cruces, and when we got on the interstate the winds were really strong. We made it 20 miles - Don was worried about being blown off the road. We stopped at a truck stop in Vado, and after I checked the weather report, which showed the winds not subsiding, we decided to call it a day.
Let me back up and describe the trip so far. If you're not a friend of mine on Facebook, then you don't know that we're going to numerous places for various reasons - reunion, fishing, family, and friends. Don went to Augsburg American High School in Germany, and they're having a 60's grads reunion April 27-30 in Savannah, Georgia. We decided to go to the reunion, and built a trip around it. We originally planned to be in Balmorhea, Texas, tonight - for 3 nights - but this wind has made us cancel that stop. (We were going to go to Fort Davis and the McDonald Observatory - now we can't.)
We have reservations beginning Friday at a campground on the Guadalupe River in Canyon Lake, Texas, for a week. Don will be fly fishing the river and I'll do some sewing. From Canyon Lake we'll head across Texas to Louisiana, Mississippi, and Florida, stopping to see some friends and family. Don's father and brothers live in Orlando, so we'll visit them for a week. From there we'll go to the reunion, and then go to North Carolina to see my sisters, nieces, and a nephew. When we leave North Carolina, we'll stop to see a friend in Tennessee and an aunt in Oklahoma.
But for now we're stuck. And the weather report calls for much more wind tomorrow. Stay tuned.